Monday, 8 October 2012

Chalkboard

“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
Albert Camus

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians! I am so blessed and thankful for all that I have in my life. I wish you all a peaceful and relaxing day spent with family and friends.

It is a dreary day here today but at least the snow has all melted with the exception of the snowman that will quickly disappear in the rain. We were in need of moisture so this is welcome and yet another thing to be thankful for.

I have been itching to get working on some projects that I have had on the go and have stashed away in my mind or have pinned on Pinterest. There are a couple that require some outside work so by the look of the forecast I’ll be able to get going on later this week.

In the meantime, I wanted to share this chalkboard with you. I actually made this quite some time ago just before I started the blog. I love the look of chalkboards, but honestly cannot stand chalk itself. I don’t like the feel of it – it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. I know - bad pun, but it’s true.

I picked up this solid and well made frame at a local thrift store.

296

The transformation to chalkboard was quite simple actually. A few coats of paint and glaze on the frame and then I found a piece of board that would fit the frame. DP cut it down to size for me and then I painted it using a chalkboard paint recipe that I discovered at from Gardners two Bergers blog (I’ve found a lot of great things on her site!).

   300

Once completed, I hung it up in the “girls” bathroom, but it honestly didn’t excite me as much as I thought it would. I had a springtime quote on it until this morning. The girls kept nudging me to change it but for some reason I never did. I think I will eventually change the frame colour or end up moving it elsewhere, but for now a new quote does help.

399  010011

I hope you have a wonderful holiday and I look forward to getting some more projects done to share with you this week.

- Wendy -

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Wendy!

    What a surprise - I feel the same way about chalk! We have a chalkboard in the kitchen that I made from a repurposed old calendar surround and I love the look of it, but never get around to changing what it says. It currently displays a to do list from the middle of the summer. Oops!

    I think for me it's a left-handed thing. I was so glad that whiteboards became popular before I started teaching because if I try writing in chalk my hand wipes right through everything I already wrote! When I was in Dollarama on Friday I found that they are now selling individual chalk markers like the ones that people use for restaurant displays. I already had a white one from my teaching days, but it came in a pack of four and was almost $20. They are not easy to find in Canada . . . until now! Maybe writing with something like this will be more to your liking. You just have to wipe it off with something wet.

    Maybe I'll get around to posting something again this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I was talking about for my kitchen! I didn't realize you had already made one... very nice!

    kgm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!