Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Summer Reading Program

Our local library Summer Reading Program just kicked off yesterday and CP & NP have already logged 60 minutes of reading time! We have joined the last few years, but never managed to get our minutes logged & entered, but this summer I can feel is going to be different!

The girls & I thought we would share our favourite books with you and perhaps you will let us know yours!
 
One of our absolute favourites is The Duckling Gets a Cookie by Mo Willems. The illustrations are fabulous and I love how they capture the feelings of Pigeon & Duckling!
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?

We have enjoyed all the Thea Stilton books we have read so far. The illustrations and different fonts are terrific and I like that they are all females working together to solve mysteries.

Laura Numeroff’s If you give a…. series are fun reads and I also love the illustrations! I know that Claire from a little something in the meantime also enjoys these books!
 If You Give A Moose A Muffin



Fancy Nancy has made her way into our personal library with the amazing illustrations and new words – absolutely delectable!

I made my youngest brother read The Giving Tree a year or two ago when we were in Chapters. I love it and wanted to share it with him! Pretty funny to see a grown man reading in the children’s section!

The classics are always a fun read and thankfully my mom kept a lot of our books and handed them on to me for our use!

Dum, ditty, dum, ditty, dum, dum, dum!!!



One of the most exciting things that happened this past weekend was that my 5-year-old daughter, NP decided that she was ready and eager to learn to read! I had purchased three boxed sets of B O B books at Costco that I planned on using this fall to teach her so we grabbed the first set (18 books in the set) and away we went. She did fabulously and zipped through the first two books with ease. The next day she read another four books and she has now read 6 books and is ready to move on to the next one. I had her start a journal to record all the books she has read, which at this time means that she is recording the entire book. She then gets a sticker on each completed page!
Happy Reading!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! A shout out (that made me giggle - you SO get me!) I've been trying to think of some great books to recommend because I am a collector (hoarder?) of great children's books.

    If you are not familiar with Pete the Cat this is a great one to read and then watch online with the fun song the author created. I discovered this on a blog and shared it with my school's librarian before it became mainstream.

    If you've ever owned a cat, the Binky series by Ashley Spires is hilarious to read (and she's Canadian) and then there's Scaredy Squirrel and Chester which are always popular in my classrooms.

    My biggest thing with kids learning to read is to let them choose books that are engaging, even if they can't read it independently. Wanting to read a great book is a much better motivator than trying to get someone to read something that is dry and boring.

    Good luck with the summer reading program! This was always one of my favourite things during summer vacation. I even had a summer where I read 50 novels and kept the list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!