Monday, 9 July 2012

Money Secrets of the Amish

book-196x300 I just finished reading Money Secrets of the Amish and really enjoyed it. The book came up on Amazon when I was looking at some other books and I thought hmmm…that could be interesting. I sent a quick email off to my local librarian and asked her if it was available. She was able to locate it at another Manitoba library and it was at our library in about a week.

The author, Lorilee Craker, decided to find out why the Amish were not only surviving, but thriving during the economic downturn in the United States. She explores the following areas (as noted on her book) and offers tips as well as websites and blog addresses to check out.

  • use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without
  • rethink your gift giving
  • repurpose, recycle, and reuse
  • eat like royalty for a peasant’s pittance

I think that I am well on my way to achieving much of the success that is written about in this book: I recycle, am starting to reuse/repurpose items, shop at thrift stores, garden, etc. I also find that many of the blogs that I frequent and enjoy also practice these same philosophies. I do think there are some tips and reminders that I can use more often such as using something until it wears out rather than replacing just because I think it would be nice to have something else. I also love the idea of bartering services which she touches on in chapter 13, although I’m not sure what I could use as my bartering tool!

I would suggest that you take a look at this book and perhaps it will give you some ideas for simple ways to achieve some financial freedom.

On a side note, I love that the author is a Canadian (now residing in the United States) and her roots are from Manitoba.

Enjoy this read and remember borrowing books from your local library is a great way to save a few dollars!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!