Sunday, 22 July 2012

Fresh Garden Veggies

060  I’m not sure about any of you, but I just cannot believe how quickly this summer is flying by! How is it possible that we are already at July 21st?!

I love this time of the year. Everything is so full of life – the crops are filling and starting to ripen and harvest is just around the corner for us, the garden is bountiful, flowers are in full bloom. It’s really just wonderful to be alive and spend time with my family in these amazing surroundings.

I know that I just posted yesterday and will be sharing a project with you tomorrow, but I wanted to share some photos of my garden.

We have two raspberries bushes, one has these beautiful and sweet golden berries, while the other has red berries. The wonderful thing about the red berry bush is that there are no thorns so it is terrific to pick from. You can get right into the thick of it and not worry about getting scratched up. These photos were taken on Wednesday so we will have to get out and pick more this evening.

 001026003     019 021 022 024

 

While we were picking the berries we noticed all of these spider webs covered in dew. Absolutely stunning to see the spider’s artwork displayed this way!

008

007011

 

This photo is our strawberry popcorn plant. We’ve never grown it before so I can’t wait to see how it turns out. It is supposed to have husks that are shaped similar to a strawberry and have reddish kernels. Apparently you put a cob in the microwave and it will produce popcorn. I’m excited to try it out! I forgot to mark where I planted these seeds and DP didn’t know I had put them in and tilled them up. So we have three plants growing.

041

 In addition to the popcorn, we have peaches & cream corn, sunflowers (my favourite flower), edible pod peas, yellow beans, lettuce (which is past its prime and we are now giving to the cows as a treat), zucchini, birdhouse gourds (not sure the actual name), watermelon, tomatoes, a variety of peppers, pumpkins and dill. I love the smell of dill so often when we’re in the garden I’ll just rub some between my fingers and take a deep breath to inhale the aroma. LOVE IT!

027 030

 Pumpkins

032 033  040

036

Sunflowers

Thursday evening we had a storm come through with a little bit of rain and lots of lightning and wind. Luckily no crops were damaged, but oddly enough the corn in our garden looked like dominos and was lying down.

012 014 015 017

Some of the corn has started to stand up again so hopefully it will be ok and the cobs will be able to fill properly. We love corn and always enjoy feasting on it.

061

I’m not sure if you ever heard the saying about sitting and watching the corn grow well on a good year (like this year) you could almost literally watch the corn grow.  I heard a story at work about a farmer who had corn waist high in the morning and almost to his armpits by afternoon. Another one had marked his corn to watch the progress and it grew about 11 inches in one day (trust me these are not like the “I caught a fish this big” stories!) I am also believing that this is true for zucchini because I’m certain that we had one almost double in size in 26 hours (ok, I have to admit that after looking at the pictures, it maybe wasn’t quite double! This almost was a fishing story!). This is my first experience growing zucchini so its fun to watch it grow.

013

Friday morning

 060  058

Saturday morning

063

I hope that you are enjoying fresh veggies and fruit from your garden or if you don’t have one yourself are picking up some wonderful produce from your local farmer’s market!

1 comment:

  1. How lucky you are to have all of this at your fingertips. I'm sure your girls will grow up having a great appreciation for everything that goes into a meal.

    I'm super excited that it's finally Ontario peach time. They're a little smaller this year, but so far they have been 5 for 5 in taste :) I love spinach salad with local peaches and blueberries.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!