Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Camping Cuisine

Growing up, I loved family camping trips and now I am having lots of fun with my own family doing the same. We are fortunate enough to have a nice provincial park within 20 minutes from home so it is convenient and allows DP to spend evenings & nights with us and then head back to the farm to get work done. While the lake water isn’t the best this year, the beach is nice, the sites are private and the trails throughout are great. 

I like to think that we have some pretty great meals while camping – we’ve done fondue, shish kabobs, pork tenderloin and lots of other goodies! I like to do meals that can be prepared ahead of time and easily thrown together once we’re at the campsite like taco salad and chicken caesar salad. 
I found these great camping recipes on Echoes of Laughter. I thought I’d give a few of them a try this past weekend. 
First up was the Potato Boat. As per Angie’s suggestion, I baked the potatoes at home during our preparation and then packed them in the camper fridge to use for Saturday night supper. I placed the potato on two foil wrappers and then sliced the potato into fairly even portions, careful to not cut the entire way through the potato. 
040

I then added some shredded cheese, real bacon bits (just like real bacon without the mess!) and broccoli into each slice. I added a dab of margarine to each slice and then wrapped the foil around the potato. I made two more as I knew the girls couldn’t eat more than a half each. 
 039038  
I then threw them on the BBQ for about 20 minutes. After they were finished, we opened the foil and added some more margarine and sour cream. This was definitely enough for a full meal for us. They were good, but I think that I should have put the slice of ham in as was suggested in the recipe and perhaps a little more of the other filling items. I’ll have to try that next time!
046

While the potatoes were on the BBQ, I got the Pineapple Upside Down Cake prepared. I placed two foil wrappers on the table and spread a small amount of margarine to coat the foil. I cut some fresh pineapple wedges and laid them on the foil and then sprinkled some brown sugar over the pineapple.  
042 043

I was unsuccessful in finding a sponge cake so I bought a large blueberry muffin that I thought would do the trick.
044

 I cut the muffin into cubes and arranged over the pineapple.
 
045  
I wrapped the foil around the cake and put it on the BBQ for about 20 minutes. As you can see, the edges of the cake were a little overdone, but even so, it was a delicious dessert! I would definitely make these again.
 
049

Good friends of ours (Michelle – the cake queen! and her family) came over that evening and we had a fabulous time catching up and letting the girls get to know each other better. I quickly threw together the ingredients for the Warm & Melty Cheese Dip, but unfortunately didn’t think about taking any photos…sorry! This was definitely my favourite of Angie’s recipes and it was super easy to make! I placed two sheets of foil wrappers on the table and then dumped a container of Herb & Garlic cream cheese on the foil. I spooned some homemade salsa over top of the cream cheese and then sprinkled some sliced green onion and quartered fresh cherry tomatoes on top. I wrapped the foil over top and placed it on the BBQ for about 20 minutes (are you catching a 20-minute theme here?! It reminds me of when we lived in BC and told people that it took 20 minutes to get wherever they were going (not!)….ok, have to focus….!!) After 20 minutes, we took the dip off the BBQ, opened the foil and had an amazing dip in front of us. I gave it a quick stir and served it with various crackers (have you tried the new Dill flavoured Triscuits – delicious!), multigrain nacho chips and assorted veggies. Everyone (except NP) loved this dip – it was sooooo tasty! We had a bit leftover on Sunday so scraped it off the foil with a rubber spatula, put it in a microwave safe bowl and mic’d it for a few seconds and then had it with more veggies and crackers. CP was thrilled when I made this last night as an appetizer when we got back to the campsite. 
Last but not least, we had the Lumberjack Breakfast for brunch on Sunday. It seems I also forgot to get the camera out for this one. Once again, apologies are in order. This was also a great recipe and super easy. I made two packets and it was more than enough for the four of us. Out came the foil wrappers again (these are great things and cheap from Dollarama) and I spread a thin coating of margarine on the foil. I then placed 3 breakfast sausages on the foil, added some frozen hashbrowns, shredded cheese and cracked two eggs over the entire thing. I wrapped the foil and placed the packets on the BBQ for, you guessed it, 20 minutes. Actually I think I left these on there for closer to half an hour to make sure the sausages were done. This was a terrific way to make a breakfast / brunch – not only was it very yummy, but it was an easy clean up which is always fantastic!
I’m always up for trying new and easy camping recipes so if you have any please pass them on! In the meantime, check out Angie’s blog for full recipe details and PHOTOS!
Happy Camping!!

2 comments:

  1. I was just showing these recipes to Matt the other day, Wendy when we started thinking about our next trip to the cottage. Angie is such a lovely lady. I hope you let her know that you tested them out!

    Great to get another perspective on how the recipes turn out. I think we'll enjoy the potatoes and upside down cake. I will definitely have to get some of those foil wrappers for our campfire cooking.

    Look for an email from me tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy! Your post looks great and thank you so much for linking back to me! I am so glad that everything turned out great for you! Have a wonderful week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!