Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Wilton Class Buttercream

I also received this recipe from Michelle. I use this for the Buttercream Transfers and for any decorating I do on the cake (stars, borders). It has a stiff consistency and yields approximately 3 cups.

I will usually cut this recipe in half and have some leftover after my decorating is done.

 **Just a note that I use Wilton Concentrated Gel colours not food colouring. The gels won't affect the consistency of your icing and add a more vibrant colour while using smaller amounts of gel. I have purchased a box that holds 10 'pots' of colour and you can also purchase boxes specific to a certain character who's colour you are trying to achieve (ie. Tinkerbell). Have fun & get creative! 

Wilton Class Buttercream

1 cup solid white vegetable shortening (room temperature)
1 teaspoon clear flavouring of your choice (butter, vanilla, etc)
2 tablespoons water
1 lb icing sugar (approximately 4 cups)
1 tablespoon meringue powder (optional)
pinch of salt

Dissolve salt in warm water. Cream shortening, water and flavouring. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium. Speed until thoroughly mixed. Blend until creamy. Do not over-beat or icing will have air bubbles. Icing will last 3 weeks in fridge or 3 months in freezer. Add water in small amounts to achieve desired consistency. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!