Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Rainbow Cake / Cupcakes

Have you ever watched the TV show Best Recipes Ever? I don't watch too much daytime TV, but have seen this program a few times. The one show I did watch was about easy birthday party ideas. They made a rainbow cake that I thought was fabulous and tucked it away in my mind to make for one of my girls' birthdays. 


I have been using Gluten-Free cake mixes for cupcakes at CP's birthday the past couple years as one of her good pals has an intolerance to gluten. I wanted to make something that everyone could enjoy together and luckily using a gluten-free mix enable this. 

For NP's birthday I decided to make the rainbow cupcakes. I thought they would be a great compliment to her Minnie Mouse cupcakes. I had found a recipe to use from Best Recipes Ever, but then decided I would just simplify things and use a white cake mix.

I prepared the cake batter and preheated the oven as directed on the cake mix box. Then divided the batter into 6 equals parts. I coloured the batter rainbow colours (R-O-Y-G-B-I-V) using Wilton Coloured Gels. I am now singing to myself the song my girls sing to remember the colours of the rainbow - Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and vi-o-let. You can sing it while your making this too! I just made one purplish colour instead of indigo and violet, hence the 6 equal parts of batter. 

Once the colours were added, I prepared my muffin tins with muffin liners. I then dropped batter by the tablespoon (approximate) into the liners, starting with the purplish colour and then layered the colours in order with red being last. I popped them in the oven and baked as per the instructions on the box. Once they were cooled I decorated them. The kids (and adults) really enjoyed their rainbow surprise once they bit into their cupcake! Just a warning that the colours are vibrant and will most likely leave some colour on lips and in your mouth!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!