I really like all of the great laundry rooms out there. Unfortunately, my space isn't really decorating-worthy. My mom's laundry room did have some available wall space so I thought she might like some wall art. This was actually her Mother's Day gift and she seemed to really like it. I forgot to bring my camera with me to take a picture of the art up on the wall, but will post one soon.
The first items I made were these fun printables. I found these here.
I purchased the hangers at the local thrift store for $0.25 each. I used the templates provided on the original tutorial and printed them on card stock that I purchased at Dollarama. If you would like copies of the templates, please let me know and I will email them to you.
After I printed the templates, I placed them in the hangers and that was that project completed! I am now keeping my eyes open for another set of hangers as my mother-in-law would also like a set!
The second item I made was this laundry room sign. I love the way it turned out! The inspiration for this can be found here.
I started with a piece of wood that I found tucked away in our basement storage room. I painted it black with DecoArt acrylic craft paint.
I had a little help from NP - can you see the brushstrokes going in the opposite direction?! After the black paint dried I applied a coat of DecoArt Weathered Wood - Crackling Medium.
The crackling medium requires at least an hour of drying time. After it was dry, I applied a light coat of DecoArt Light Antique White.
A couple days after I painted the board, I printed out the words "The Laundry Room" using Nyala font and Edwardian Script ITC for "Loads of Fun." I cut the paper down to make it easier to work with.
I positioned the wording on the board.
In preparation to transfer the wording onto the board, I took a pencil and marked the back of the paper. You should shade the paper DARKLY. I found this out the hard way when my wording didn't show up very well on the wood.
I repositioned my wording and taped it with painters tape to make sure it wouldn't move around while I was working. I traced over the lettering with my pencil, pressing quite hard.
You can see the image transfer below. It would have been a lot darker had I originally shaded the back of the paper darker.
I continued to transfer the rest of the wording.
Once the transfer was complete, I took an Elmer's paint pen and outlined all the wording. I then filled the wording using the DecoArt black paint on "The Laundry Room" and because I need to invest in a good paint brush used the paint pen on the "Loads of Fun".
Using free-hand I added a scroll-type fancy thing on the right-hand side of the board. I needed something in the lower left-hand corner and loved the bird on my Kleenex box. I traced it and transferred it onto the board. CP helped me with the tail, which didn't turn out quite right in the transfer. She is quite an artist!
I took this piece outside and sanded it well, concentrating on the edges and corners.
I put all the artwork together and gave it to my mom for Mother's Day. She was really happy with it. I had to laugh to myself thinking that after all these years here I was giving my mom handmade art for Mother's Day! I forgot to bring my camera to her house to get a photo with these positioned on the wall, but will post one soon.