Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Frozen Buttercream Transfer

You may have been wondering (or maybe not!) how I make the characters that are on the birthday cakes. My friend Michelle originally told me how to do one and I also looked on CakeCentral.com. If you are looking for cake inspiration this is the place to look - they have everything! 

I, unfortunately, don't have a lot of pictures to show the steps, but have included a link to the instructions on CakeCentral here. You may want to check out their site's images so that my instructions make more sense. I have found it a bit challenging when trying to do more detailed images - ie. Belle's face, but I think that with each one I do I find a way to improve.


Step 1 - Find an image that you want on your cake. I have found that using a regular 8.5 x 11 colouring picture works great for a 9 x 13 cake. Once you find this image, print it as a mirrored image (this isn't as important if you don't have any writing on the image). 

Step 2 - Place printed image on a flat cookie sheet or like surface that you can place in the freezer. Tape image to cookie sheet. Cover image with a piece of waxed paper, also securing in place with tape.

Step 3 - Prepare Wilton Class Buttercream icing as directed. Divide into smaller bowls and colour with coloured gels to achieve desired colours for your specific image. You will need to use black icing for the outline of your image. You can either purchase this or make your own using the directions here.

Step 4 - Using a piping bag, outline your image with black icing. Colour other areas of image using piping bag and your desired icing colours. 

Step 5 - Smooth out icing with a knife or small spatula, using firm pressure so that your image will have a smoother look to it. 

Step 6 - Cover entire image with a layer of the icing you will be frosting your cake with. (Do not skip this step. I did once and quickly realized that my image was not thick enough to remove the wax paper properly.)

Step 7 - Place image (leave on cookie sheet) in freezer overnight. It can stay in freezer for quite awhile (a couple of weeks) if you are wanting to make up ahead of time.  

Step 8 - Frost cake as desired. Take image out of freezer, remove tape from cookie sheet. Hold onto sides of waxed paper, flip image over and place on cake, icing side down. Carefully peel off waxed paper. You will want to do this step as soon as it is removed from freezer as it is much easier to work with. Your image will now have been transferred onto your cake! Add any other decorations to your cake as desired. Stand back & be proud of your work!

My first Frozen Buttercream Transfer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!